Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year

Goodbye 2009 and HELLO 2010! So 2009 is gone and I cannot say I am sad another year flew by like a bullet train. It was a great year with the exception of a couple of pretty serious losses in my life. These events were tough, but as humans, we learn from our mistakes, and other people's mistakes for that matter, and take life one day at a time if we are smart. But we aren't always smart are we? We take things for granted- family, friends, money, jobs, health....they are all balls that we juggle on a daily basis. We take our family for granted because hey, they are supposed to love us right? We take our friends for granted for pretty much the same reason. As for the money and job, we figure if we lose this one, we can just get another one. We have become quite the masters of juggling. One of my favorite analogies is the one where we are to imagine those balls are made of glass, which one would actually bounce if you dropped it? The answer is obvious...but not to everyone. It is about priorities, and I figure with a whole new decade in front of me, it is about damn time I got mine straight! So...with the help of my supportive husband, I decided to create a list of things I want to accomplish this year. Things I always thought would be fun to do, good for me to do, but never found the time....or usually had a damn good excuse as to why I didn't have the time. This is not your average New Year's Resolution list people, you know the one you make but know in your mind you aren't going to keep? This list is more than that to me, on my quest for better health both mental and physical, this list is about setting goals and actually accomplishing them. I am a habitual procrastinator. I'm not lazy, I am just restless, ADHD, void of tangible goals that actually mean anything. The "goal" of this list is to prove to myself that I can do it! I can set a goal and accomplish it, no matter how big or small. And let me tell you, if I actually complete this list, there is going to be one hell of a party and you are all invited...:)

So on with it already...Of course the top of my list, the reason for this blog, is my ultimate goal of losing 40 pounds, but here is the rest of the list...

  1. Lose 40 pounds before I am 40- scale will read 135 or less on my last weigh in before 1/31/2011!
  2. See the Grand Canyon (I have lived in this state for over 30 years and NEVER seen it!)
  3. Read Gone with the Wind- my all time favorite movie, I bet the book is just as amazing
  4. Explore my faith- I am a spiritual person to my core, I am just very conflicted about religion
  5. Take an unplanned road trip with my family, just get in the car and drive somewhere we haven't been
  6. Spend alone time with my children individually each month- mommy and me dates if you will
  7. 30 days of sex in April- I told you my husband helped with this list...but honestly, this one will be fun!
  8. Take golf lessons
  9. Play 18 holes of golf
  10. Complete the WW Couch to 5K by March
  11. Go to a Suns game and sit in seats that don't make my nose bleed
  12. Go to a Cardinals game in the new stadium
  13. Upgrade to First Class on one of my monthly business trips...round trip!
  14. Play craps in Vegas
  15. Start and finish baby girls first year scrapbook
  16. Learn a new language- more than likely Spanish though Korean would be helpful when getting my pedicures... :)
  17. Learn to do tile backsplashes and do one in my kitchen and back bathroom
  18. Save enough $$ to buy a pair of Jimmy Choo black pumps- come on, I needed one shoe goal!
  19. Rub my husband once a week
  20. Schedule appreciation dates with each of my sisters individually
  21. Do not commit to plans with friends and bail at the last minute
  22. Deactivate my Facebook account- this is going to be a tough one!
  23. Pick one room a month and toss out all of the useless crap I have accumulated over the years
  24. Do not purchase OR read any gossip magazines including People, US, Star, OK!- Hell, the money I save on that will help me check off goal #17.
I realize this is a lot and I may add to the list as necessary. But root for me, I KNOW I can do this. For those of you that will participate in and benefit from this list know up front, that I do love and appreciate you VERY much! And my answer to the question above is, YOU are the glass balls that won't bounce if I drop you.

Today also marks Day 1 of my 40 in 40...Current weight (don't judge me people, this blog is for me to be honest with myself isn't it?!!) 177 lbs

Next weigh in Thursday, January 7.

5 comments:

  1. Nice List...there are many similiar ones on mine.
    2. I too want to see the GC.
    4. I have been thinking of my faith more and more every day.
    8. Let me know if you want a golf lesson buddy.
    19. Please elaborate on rubbing your husband once a week.
    21. Yeah!
    22. Now that's just silly...
    Good luck with your list, mp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW...Nice background so girly and cute. I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks MP! And I would love a golf lesson buddy if you are up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too started a weight loss blog this year. I won't give you the link or anything...just in case I happen to be at April's house again and then you actually see my big fat self and also know the number on my scale! LOL

    Congrats to you...I will be cheerleading for you! :)

    Becky, the Maid. (April's friend!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Becky! I am so excited you like my blog and I would love to support you on yours! The more people you have in your corner, the better your chances of being successful. And please, ask April, I can keep a secret! You know my numbers, and I would NEVER spill yours! Good luck! I will also be cheerleading for you!

    ReplyDelete