Monday, January 4, 2010

For the Love of Water

If Wheaties are the breakfast of "champions", then water is the drink of weight "losers"...At the end of the second day of my journey, I realize how water is the key to my success. Maybe because I have consumed no less than a gallon each day! Maybe because the minute I put down the diet coke and picked up the water my stomach stopped hurting, my skin stopped breaking out, my mood changed, I am no longer secretly wishing for a nap by 2:00 in the afternoon, and I practically meet my 30 minute activity requirement from all the trips to the bathroom! I'm not kidding either... It amazes me how quickly it can become a habit for me and I bow to mother nature for this incredible natural resource...

I love water. Plain water, not the jazzed up drinks that pack themselves with sugar, sugar substitutes, fake vitamins and artificial flavors and try to pass themselves off as water...nosiree, just plain ole water. And I am happy I do not have the issues that my fellow WW buddies have in which they would rather eat dirt than drink water. No, I have always loved water. It makes my skin look and feel amazing, I am not tired, nor bloated, and as long as it is handy, I will drink as much as I can. And good thing, because according to Dr. Oz my body is made up of over 50% water and that the average adult should drink 8 8oz glasses a day. Drink less than the RDA and risk dehydration. For those of you who have ever been dehydrated it ain't pretty. Actually, it sucks....literally.

However, I have a confession to make..to you AND to me...Though I'm sure my husband has known about my little problem for a long time, I have been in denial that this actually IS a problem for me. BUT I have to overcome denial. Denial hinders my success. Denial is that warm Snuggie like blanket that makes you justify stupid shit like what I am about to tell you...Ready? OK...

I can drink 4 times or more the RDA of water everyday, ONLY as long as I have a vessel to refill throughout the day. Well duh you say....but you don't understand people, I'm not talking about any vessel such as a Styrofoam cup, or an 8oz glass my cupboard is full of. Oh no..my water vessel must be at least 32oz. When I don't have at least a 32oz cup pictured below or water bottle handy I don't drink water during the day.

Plain and simple. Even if I had 4 8oz cups that had auto refill, I still wouldn't drink water. It is easier for me to purchase and drink 6 cans of diet coke...which is another confession altogether....And I won't use a smaller cup available to me in the break room or my kitchen. It HAS to be a 32oz water bottle, Harkins cup, Subway cup, etc...that way I KNOW I am getting 32 oz of water, and that I only need to drink two of them to meet my RDA...How dumb is that? That is a rhetorical question and one NOT to be answered by my husband who has long since had to put up with my dumbass neurosis and half full Harkins cups of water all over the house for over 16 years.

And I know I won't change, but it feels good to admit to my ridiculousness..my husband will have to continue to wash and store those stupid movie cups that I love to drink water out of, and I will continue to make sure I have a 32oz water bottle at my desk at all times this year.......Have to run...gotta fill my 32oz Smartwater bottle for the 5th time today, well....after I run to the bathroom for the 15th time today...ahhhhh that is the bugger of a fact they leave out of the RDA...there ARE side effects to drinking too much water!
 
Thanks for reading...peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment