Friday, April 29, 2011

Vegetarian vs. Vegan

I had my monthly visit to my natural path today. They have been treating my thyroid condition for about a year which my general physician was under treating! I truly believe that finding naturalpathic medicine has changed my life this last year. They focus on the ENTIRE person and treat the root cause of your problem, not just the symptoms. So, I have to get my blood tested every month to ensure my thyroid levels are staying normal. When they aren't normal, I get to have all kinds of fun dealing with hair thinning/loss, extreme weight gain/loss, exhaustion, and inability to focus.

Well, turns out, they have FINALLY been able to normalize my thyroid levels..yeah!!! , but my genetically high cholesterol has him concerned. With my family history of heart disease, diabetes, and atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries, he wants to work with me on a lifestyle change nutrition plan. I'm excited to have an entire two hour session dedicated to making me healthy!

He told me to do my research on which plan I want to explore. He gave me three options:

1. Vegetarian- no meat
2. No carb/sugar/oil diet
3. Vegan- no animal products, by products or oil

REALLY????????? Not great options! I don't see Weight Watchers anywhere on this list! I know I could be okay without eating carbs, sugar and meat, but I draw the line at no fish, eggs, yogurt, and peanut butter!

So I'm going to do my research on all three options to see just how much "modification" I can withstand so I can live a healthy life for the next 40+ years!

Stay tuned on my decision...tonight, while doing my research I'm going to have sushi and beer and hope I don't have a heart attack. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment