Thursday, April 28, 2011

There are benefits to a mammogram other than early cancer detection...who knew?

I used to say...OMG, I'm going to be 30!...my 30's turned out to be my favorite decade. After turning 30, I realized I wasn't a fan of my 20's...I used to say OMG I'm going to be 40!...and while age really never bothered me, because I never looked or felt my true age, 40 seemed a bit intimidating to me...but, I have to tell you, I LOVE being 40! 40 feels sexy! I'm coming into myself. I feel good...actually, I feel GREAT!

One of the beautiful things about turning 40 is that, as a woman, you get to add a whole bunch of tests to your "to do" list every year from now until you kick it...PAP smear, bone density, colonoscopy, mammogram...I asked my OBGYN what men get when they turn 40, he laughs and says...grumpy! I love my OBGYN, don't care that its a man...

However, I went for my mammogram today. I was told to wear no deodorant, body lotion, or perfume. They take me back to the room and tell me to take my shirt and bra off and put on one of those paper robes that doesn't cover ANYTHING, and my technician will be right in. I'm standing there sweating and hoping that my body doesn't betray me without deodorant, because ick...who wants to stink knowing that someone is going to be up in your business for 30 minutes? that's just gross...anyhoo...I'm standing there in all my glory waiting for my GIRL to come in when the door opens and man walks in. I'm thinking "oh Jesus, please tell me you are just here to check on me and that you are NOT the one who is performing this test!"..No such luck...Cutie boy starts telling me what to expect from the procedure...etc...I'm not listening...My face is flushed and I'm getting even more nervous, triggering an unusual sweating reaction. I do not sweat a lot unless I'm working out, but I'm really praying to the gods of mercy that I don't smell when this man comes up next to me and asks me to open my robe!

So he does the drill of smashing my boob between the cold metal plates and taking 50 different xrays of EACH side... very professional, asking questions about when I had my implants are they over or under the muscle...to which I respond, "dude, you have the xray machine, you need me to tell YOU if they are under the muscle?"...He is making jokes to relax me...again, wasn't listening...was just hoping this would be over quickly so I could put my cute outfit back on and get the hell out of there before he figures out how adorable I think he is! I should note that he is only one of the several men who actually get licensed to do this. Go figure!


After 35 minutes, we were done...After I finally stopped blushing and sweating, I decided, having a cute male technician perform your mammogram is just another benefit of being 40! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment