Sunday, February 13, 2011

The kindness of strangers...

Today I went to Costco with my two kids. Now, I would rather take a hot poker in my eye than brave Costco on a weekend! People are rude, unaware of anyone but themselves, and deadly with their shopping carts. (See scar on the back of my heel some psycho caused by running into me at 30mph...didn't even stop to apologize as I stood there gushing blood!)

Anyway, I bought a new 37 inch TV today (see why in a later post). I had to get a flatbed cart for the TV and a normal cart for all of the other stuff I needed...I was pushing the normal cart with my daughter in it and my 11 year old son was pushing the flatcart. You can imagine how much fun we had trying to maneuver TWO carts through the place, which was packed; I was a hot mess!!! How can old people be so damn mean to kids in public? Then out of nowhere...kindness of strangers...

The TV box wasn't that heavy, but some nice guy saw me there with my two kids and my two carts and generously helped me lift it onto my cart without me even having to ask! Certainly not something I expected at Costco of all places, but was more than grateful for! Then in the parking lot,, a really nice couple offered to help me load it into my car....fast forward to me pulling into my driveway when my awesome neighbor offered to help me get it in the house.

The simple fact that 3 people offered to help me without having to ask just made my day! I'll pay it forward, I promise!

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! Whenever I travel internationally with my little ones (without the husband to help out) I'm usually pleasantly surprised at how much help/support I'm given by others. Ok, there are always jerks, but mostly I find people are willing to be.....well....wonderful. I try to keep this in mind and live in the belief that I should give most everyone else the benefit of the doubt and know we're not genetically programmed to be complete A-holes! ;-)

    How great you got to have such an uplifting experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate Costco on the weekends. Add in 239239 more people than usual PLUS all of the people who stand there and wait to get their little samples. Ugh. I swear some people go there just to snack their way around the store.

    ReplyDelete