Thursday, June 30, 2011

Vacation!!!

Va·ca·tion  (v-kshn)- according to Webster's Dictionary, is defined as a period of time devoted to pleasure, rest, or relaxation. We take a vacation every summer. Our annual trip usually involves going to California. Sometimes it is just to Disneyland, just to the beach, or both. Every year, I spend weeks preparing to be off work for a week, arranging for someone to watch our dog and our house, making sure the kids have everything they need, etc...I spend so much time rushing around and stressing out that by the time we go on "vacation" I am exhausted and yes I will admit it, bitchy!

This has been a stressful year for me and I promised myself, my BFF, my sisters, my kids, and my therapist, that this year I was going to ENJOY vacation. Let things go...pray to God for patience and strength to deal with whiny tired kids and husband. Those of you that know me and my inability to sit still, relax, shut my mind off and just BE in the moment, know that asking me to actually devote time to pleasure, rest, and relaxation, is like asking Brittany Spears to stop wearing hair extensions...it ain't gonna happen.

But this year, this year I promised! I let go...I put my work cell phone down, let calls go to voicemail, and have LOVED and ENJOYED every smile, giggle, tear, and moment of this vacation! Making this vacation about my kids and their happiness has actually resulted in my absolute relaxation and joy!

My life will be there when I get back...

Who knew?

This picture illustrates how simple it is to be a happy kid and how as adults, perhaps we need to "hug the ocean" more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment